Just like you can use personalisation and dynamic content in your email content, you can use personalisation and dynamic rules to determine what subject line and 'from name' a contact should see.
- Personalization — inserts data stored against your contact record. e.g. 'First name' or 'Account manager'.
- Dynamic rules — Are logical rules used to determine what should display. e.g. If the contact's country is 'United Kingdom' show 'New t-shirt colours released', else show 'New t-shirt colors released'.
This means you can send one campaign with multiple targeted messages for different groups of customers. Which message each group receives is dependent on the rules you set.
Personalizing your campaign subject line and 'from name'
When creating your subject line you can insert a placeholder for a contact data field. To insert a placeholder click on the icon above the subject line or from name box.
This will show a list of all your data fields; click on the datafield and a placeholder will be added at the current place in the subject line or from name.
The placeholder will be in all capitals with an @ symbol at either end (e.g. @FIRSTNAME@ for inserting the first name).
This will automatically update the preview panel on the right hand side of the screen.
Dynamic rules on subject lines and 'from names'
To use dynamic rules for campaign subject lines and from names, click on the 'campaign settings' option on the campaign settings screen.
You can enable dynamic content for:
- Just the subject line; or
- The subject line and the from name
Tip: If you only want to do a dynamic from name, but not the subject line; enter the same subject line for all variations.
You will now be able to create rules, variations and default content.
Elements of a dynamic content
Each dynamic content element consists of three main aspects:
- Default content
- This is the default subject line, or default from name, that your contacts will see if none of the rules you set apply. This can contain personalisation (see above).
- These are the alternative versions of the subject line or from name that you want contacts to see who meet specific criteria set in your rules. This can contain personalisation (see above).
- These are the criteria you set to determine whether contacts see the default content, or a variation. For example: "Gender equals Male", or "Age is greater than 65" (rules can be much more complex than this).
Creating your default subject line and from address
If you haven't already done so, enter a default subject line and from name.
Creating your first variation
Click on Variations in the top left corner of the element, and then the Add a new variation button.
This will bring up a box with details of your new variation. First of all, give the variation a name; in the image below we have named the variation "Business traveller version".
Next you need to set a rule based on one of your default or custom data fields - to do with click on [select another contact datafield].
This will open the rule builder.
Select from one of the default or custom data fields to base your rule. Below the data fields you can set what rule is applied.
For text based fields you can set rules for:
- Equal to
- Not equal to
- Does not contain
- Starts with
- Ends with
- Is empty
For date based fields you can set rules for:
And for number based fields you can set rules for:
- Equal to
- Not equal to
- More than
- Less than
- At least (i.e. Greater than or equal to)
- At most (i.e. Less than or equal to)
And for boolean fields you can set rules based on the answer being on (true) or off (false).
Once your rule is set, click OK.
You can add multiple rules to be very specific about what subject line and from name to show each client. The 'AND' lozenge indicates that all rules created must be true for a contact to see your variation. Clicking on this will toggle between "AND" and "OR"; if set to "OR" only one of your rules need be true for a contact to see your variation.
When all your rules are ready, click the Apply button.
You now have a campaign with two subject line and from name variations. You can see what variation is currently being displayed by its name in the top left hand corner. To switch between variations click on Variations in the top left hand corner of the element.
In this dropdown menu you can:
- Add another variation
- Select the variation you want to view and work with
- Edit the rules for the variation (by clicking on the pencil icon)
- Duplicate the variation (by clicking on the duplicate icon)
- Remove the variation (by clicking on the red cross icon)
You can also rearrange the order the rules are applied by dragging the variation names up or down; the "default" variation will always be the last one in the list.
On your selected variation, enter the subject line and from name you want displayed to contacts matching the rules applied.