You can create advanced web sign-up and unsubscribe forms at the click of a mouse. This will enable your contacts to opt in to or unsubscribe from single or multiple address books and to collect/append valuable additional data fields.
To create a web sign-up form, select Contacts from the navigation menu and then select Signup forms from the sub-menu displayed.
This screen is split into three separate steps:
- Form mode - you have a choice of a form that can subscribe or unsubscribe to/from either one or multiple address books. Use the radio buttons to make the appropriate choice.
- Address books - select the address book(s) that are being subscribed to or unsubscribed from. If you selected a single address book in the first step then you will only be able to select one address book. Use the radio buttons to make the appropriate choice.
- Custom fields - by default, the system will collect the email address. Use the checkboxes to select the other contact data fields you wish to have displayed on the web form. Any data entered by the contact into these fields will automatically be added to the address book.
In the example below, we've selected a single address subscribe to the address book called 'Monthly newsletter'. You can also see the custom fields that have been selected:
You can add consent text to your signup form, allowing you to describe the content you'll be sending to the contacts that sign up and the frequency with which you'll be sending it. When doing this, also try to include a brief summary of how you'll use their data.
The length of the consent text may be limited to 255 characters if you've previously created an Insight data collection, otherwise it's 1000 characters.
When consent is given by a contact, this information will then be stored alongside them as ConsentInsight and is useful for demonstrating consent under the EU's GDPR. It's also useful if you wish to be CASL compliant.
The following consent data will be stored:
- consent text
- the date and time of consent (in UTC)
- the form's URL
- the IP address of the signup
- the full user agent
- the date and time the record was created (in UTC)
You can tick a box to only allow signups when consent is given.
At the bottom of the screen, you can enter a URL for a web page to send your contacts to, after they have completed the sign-up form. In the example below, we have entered http://www.openmoves.com/thank-you.html.
When you are ready, click the CREATE FORM button.
A window will now appear underneath the Create Form button and the HTML has been generated for the web form. Use your scroll bar to move down the screen.
You can now pass this code to your web developer for inclusion on your website.
An easy way to do this is to highlight the code, right click and select copy. Now open a basic editor, such as Notepad and simply paste the code in.
You could also use this function in conjunction with a triggered campaign. When a contact joins a particular address book using this web form, you can trigger a campaign to be sent to them automatically. This is done by changing the settings of the address book.