When a contact unsubscribes, they will be added to your suppression list.
A contact can be removed from your suppression list by resubscribing. We detail the two ways this can happen below.
How a contact can resubscribe themselves
An unsubscribed contact can resubscribe themselves by using your signup form (to see how to create a sign up form, visit Resubscribing a contact via sign up form after they have unsubscribe). Unlike a brand new contact, they will receive a confirmation email. A contact will not be resubscribed until they they confirm their action by clicking the link in the confirmation email.
The process in full:
- The unsubscribed contact fills in and submits your signup form
- They receive a confirmation email, ensuring they made the request
- They click the confirmation link in the email
- They become resubscribed
Note: If you have created your own signup form using our API, you will need to be sure it uses the ResubscribeContact method where appropriate.
How you can resubscribe a contact on their behalf
If you do not have a sign-up form, or if a contact requests you resubscribe them on their behalf, you can do so by using the resubscribe tool. Every contact you resubscribe will receive a confirmation email.
Important: As contacts receive a confirmation email as part of the process, only attempt to resubscribe contacts who have specifically requested it.
If you have a contact who has requested to be resubscribed:
- Go to Contacts > Suppressed contacts
- Search or browse for the contact(s) to resubscribe
- Select the check box next to each contact
- Click More actions > Resubscribe
A contact will not be resubscribed until they they confirm their action by clicking the link in the confirmation email.
How can I modify the confirmation email used when resubscribing contacts?
The confirmation email used when resubscribing contacts has fixed wording, designed in such a way as to avoid ambiguity.
However, you can add your logo to the email by going to Contacts > Advanced features > Resubscribe settings.
Why can't some contacts be resubscribed?
A contact may be unable to resubscribe if:
- They are on the Global Suppression List
- You have suppressed their domain from receiving your campaigns
- They were removed because of a complaint from their ISP