Learn how to create multipage forms using the Sections form block logic.
Multipage forms are created with a single form using the Sections form block. The Sections form block can be used to show or hide questions, based on your contacts’ answers; this allows you to create branching forms.
OM3 uses section logic that contains pre-conditions, meaning a section decides if it should or shouldn’t appear. This feature has the benefits of normal branching, while also being more complex and able to make multi-level decisions.
Sections form block requirements
To use section logic, you must consider the following:
- Your form must contain the Sections form block.
- You can only use section logic with a block that contains three or more sections.
- The first and last block sections can’t contain section logic.
To add a Sections form block to your form:
- Go to Pages and forms.
- If your form already exists, select the Pencil icon in the same row as the form you want to edit. If your form doesn’t exist yet, select New page or form.
- Go to Form blocks.
- Drag the Sections form block onto the canvas.
- To add more sections, select Add new section.
When you add a Sections form block, the first section is included automatically. Also, there’s no limit to the number of sections you can add.
Any content outside of the Sections form block appears on every page of your form. It’s recommended that your header, footer, and action buttons should be placed outside of the block, so you don’t have to add them to every section.
To create section logic for a section:
- Select a Cog icon.
You must pick a cog that isn’t in the first or last section to change the logic.
- In the Edit section panel, select Yes for the Section logic field.
- Select either Show or Hide for the Default visibility field.
- Depending on if you selected Show or Hide in step 3, select either Show section when... or Hide section when....
- In the Edit section logic panel, name your action in the Action name box.
- For the When field, select either All rules are met or Any rules are met from the drop-down menu.
- Select [ click to add rule ] > Select. You can set up rules by editing the Field, Clause, and Condition fields.
- Select Apply.
- Add more rules by selecting [click to add rule], or select Apply > Apply.
Forms can contain an unlimited number of rules, which allows you to create complex multistage branching surveys.
Each section can be reorganized and moved to an order that works best for you by dragging the upper-left corner of the block.
You can copy or delete a section when creating your multipage form.
Copy a section
To copy a section, select the Copy icon.
All data is copied when you copy a section. This includes the section name, form inputs, the contents of drop-down menus, layout blocks, and pre-conditions used in survey logic.
Delete a section
To delete a section, select the Delete icon.
By default, moving between pages is instant. However, you can also use animation styles to create a more interactive experience. This is particularly effective for slide-based forms, which typically have one question per page.
To animate a section:
- Select the Cog icon for the entire Sections form block.
- In the Edit section panel, select an animation type from the Animation drop-down menu.
- Choose a style from the Style drop-down menu.
- Choose a scrolling style from the Scroll to drop-down menu.
- Select Apply.
The Action buttons form block behaves based on context. For example, the form block knows what page it is on when it’s used for multipage forms. It shows Previous, Next, and Submit buttons in this case. For a single page form, the form block always shows as a Submit button.
It’s recommended to add the Action buttons form block outside of the Sections form block because it appears on every page.
To edit the Action buttons form block, select the Action buttons form block from the canvas. In the Settings area, you can edit the following:
- Submit button text
- Back button text
- Next button text
- Button position
- Button layout
- Manage button styles